Press coverage 2018
- BBC Radio Norfolk: Most of county's children's centres set to close (Neil speaking at 1 hr 54 mins)
- Nursery World: Counting the cost of early years funding shortfalls
- Nursery World: Alliance blames lack of Government funding for closing fifth of settings
- Nursery World: SEED: Quality care has benefits at age four
- Nursery World: Two-year-old funding rate 'a third less than needed'
- Sunderland Echo and others, via Press Association: More than one in five childcare providers in Sunderland shut up shop as campaigners warn of funding ‘crisis’
- Nursery World: Protest over £30m on offer for school nursery places
- Nursery World: DfE 30 hours report lays bare the challenges for providers
- Children & Young People Now: Four in 10 providers see fall in profits due to 30 hours childcare initiative
- Day Nurseries: Government's evaluation of 30 hours 'free' childcare angers nurseries
- Children & Young People Now: Quality early years provision 'leads to fewer emotional difficulties'
- FE News: Damian Hinds insists providers have enough funds to deliver the 30-hour scheme, despite closure fears
- Derbyshire Times & others (via Press Association): Thousands of five-year-olds not not ready for school
- BBC Breakfast and news bulletins: BBC Breakfast speak to Alliance chief executive on 30 hours underfunding
- The Victoria Derbyshire Show: ‘Unfair’ and ‘dishonest’ – the government’s 30 hours free childcare scheme.
- Elsewhere across the BBC: Free childcare scheme 'closing' nurseries, education charity says
- The Independent: Half of parents asked to pay extra fees for ‘free’ 30 hours childcare policy, survey finds
- The Financial Times: Parents hit with additional fees for childcare in England
- Moneywise: 'Free' childcare scheme sparks nursery fee rise for parent
- Children & Young People Now: Four in 10 childcare providers 'fear closure within 12 months'
- Nursery World: 30-hour childcare: 4 in 10 providers fear closure in the next 12 months
- Huffington Post: 30-Hour Free Childcare Scheme Leaves Nurseries At Risk Of Closure, Charity Says
- Working Mums: Nurseries risk closure gue to government childcare policy
- The Big Issue: The free childcare offer is driving nurseries to closure, claims report
- Nursery World: Children's centre consultation off the table
- Day Nurseries: Government scaps consultation on children's centres
- The Telegraph: Over 300,000 children are being taught by unqualified nursery staff, charity warns
- BBC News: Early years teacher gaps 'risk children's futures'
- Children & Young People Now: Researchers criticise lack of evidence for government early years policy
- TES: Call for trials of small Reception classes
- Nursery World: Not enough evidence that funded childcare works, say researchers
- Nursery World: Foundations for change: early years providers voiced their concerns at a recent Lobby Day in parliament
- Nurrsery World: Early Years Careers Pathway and map published
- Children & Young People Now: Government to invest in school nurseries in deprived areas
- Nursery World: DfE concedes longer T-Level work placement needed
- Nursery World: Disadvantage gap will take 'more than 100 years' to close
- Nursery World: T-Level placements ‘too short’
- Nursery World: Early years maths programme boosts children's development
- Financial Times: Providers head to parliament to lobby MPs on childcare funding
- Working Mums: Holiday childcare rises by 4%
- Day Nurseries: Over 100 childcare providers lobby parliament for 'fairer funding' of 30 hours
- Press Association, various: Increasing demand of 30 hours places shouldn't "mask huge issues"
- Nursery World: Childcare providers to lobby MPs on 30 hours
- Independent: Proposed tests for four-year-old's could lead to nursery children being coached for exams, experts warn
- Day nurseries: 'Flawed' baseline tests for four-year-olds force teachers to 'teach to the test'
- Various, syndicated print titles: How to help your child start school confidently
- Education Executive: ‘Disqualification by association’ rules no longer apply to schools
- Children & Young People Now: Government to allow cohabitees of serious offenders to work in nurseries
- Children & Young People Now: Early years assessment plans 'fundamentally flawed', study finds
- Nursery World: 'Unfair' disqualification rules for nursery staff removed
- Schools Week: Ofsted chief criticised over lack of visits to early-years settings
- BBC News: Childminder numbers in England plummet
- Nursery World: Childminder numbers drop by 600 in three months
- Care appointments: Steep drop in number of childminders working in England branded 'simply unacceptable'
- Working mums: Number of childminders continues to fall
- Nursery World: 8 out of 10 30-hour childcare places provided by private and voluntary sector
- Financial Times (£): Funding gap leaves nurseries struggling to pay minimum wage
- Day Nurseries: Alastair Campbell tells childcare practitioners 'there's no worse feeling than depression'
- Day Nurseries: Nursery closures double but DfE defends 30 hours funding as 'fair'
- Nursery World: DfE rebuffs MPs' call for rise to 30-hour funding
- Yahoo News: The Unfair Flaw In The Government's 30 Free Childcare Hours Has A Huge Financial Impact On My Family
- The Hereford Times and others: Hereford childcare manager wins national award
- The Independent: Children from poorer families less likely to take up free pre-school place, study finds
- TES: 'School readiness begins with parents'
- Children & Young People Now: Free early years schemes 'disproportionately benefit the better-off'
- Nursery World: Children from higher-income families use pre-school for longer
- Nursery World: Reception baseline trial will take place in September
- Day nurseries: Baseline: 'Most children will be unaware they are being assessed'
- The Mirror: Alliance Minds Matter report: "There's no time to breathe" - the nursery workers trapped on the minimum wage for life as overtime and targets soar
- Nursery World: Alliance Minds Matter report: Quarter of early years workers 'considering quitting' due to stress
- Sky News: More and more children 'lack toilet training'
- Telegraph: Children starting school unable to speak or use toilet, Ofsted head warns
- Mail on Sunday: I always thought I was a lousy parent (despite raising an infant prodigy) but now I realise many are infinitely worse
- TALK Radio: Ofsted's Amanda Spielman speech at Alliance Conference - reaction
- LBC: Ofsted's Amanda Spielman speech at Alliance Conference - reaction
- The Mirror: Families 'set to foot the bill' as new figures reveal a £500m shortfall in childcare funding
- Children & Young People Now: Early years providers 'face £500m childcare funding shortfall'
- Day Nurseries: Parents will swallow cost of nurseries' half a billion funding hole
- Nursery World: Funded places leaving providers out of pocket by millions
- Nursery World: Rise in setting closures linked to 30 hours
- Nursery World: DfE sets out remit for early years SENCOs
- Children & Young People Now: Council efforts to boost young children's literacy to be peer reviewed
- The Daily Mirror: More than half a million children denied help from Tories’ flagship free childcare scheme
- Peterborough Telegraph: Big leap in demand for free childcare in Peterborough, but there may be too few places
- Nursery World: Survey looks at the impact of work on early years practitioners' mental health
- Eastern Daily Press/ Press Association: Surge in parents applying for government’s free childcare scheme sparks fresh fears over demand on providers
- Day nurseries: Government told to scrap business rates for 'struggling' nurseries
- Nursery World: Scrap business rates for nurseries, says small business organisation
- Children & Young People Now: Childcare providers 'struggling to stay afloat' due to lack of 30 hours funding
- Children & Young People Now: Childcare providers 'face unexpected data protection costs'
- Nursery World: Baseline £10m contract goes to NFER despite protests over Reception assessment
- Nursery World: Continuing struggle for parents to find a 30 hours place
- Children & Young People Now: Eligibility for 30 hours childcare passes 375,000 mark
- Nursery World: 30 hours programme is hitting two-year-old places, finds report
- North Devon Gazette: Ilfracombe nursery among top 20 in South West
- The Guardian: Government unveils controversial plans for testing four-year-olds
- Nursery World: NFER wins contract for controversial Baseline assessment
- Day Nurseries: Government picks NFER to test four-year-olds despite teachers' opposition
- Day Nurseries: A thousand children's centres close after falling off 'Government list of priorities'
- Children & Young People Now: As many as 1,000 children's centres now closed, study finds
- BBC Radio Cornwall: Neil Leitch speaks about providers struggling to meet increased costs due to underfunding
- Nursery World: Ofsted statistics show an increase in providers exiting the sector since introduction of the 30 hours
- Children & Young People Now: MPs call on government to increase 30 hours childcare funding
- FT: MPs release damning report on childcare policy
- Nursery World: Treasury Committee calls for action on 30 hours underfunding in scathing assessment of policy
- The Telegraph: The price hikes that will hit households in March and April - and how you can avoid them
- Nursery World: Parents struggling to get 30-hour codes validated
- Day Nurseries: Early years sector sees qualifications fall and high staff turnover
- Working Mums: 30 hours childcare shows significant regional variations
- Mirror: Childcare vouchers closure delayed for six months in win for millions of families
- Day Nurseries: Childcare vouchers deadline postponed for another six months
- Nursery World: Opposition parties win childcare voucher extension
- Children & Young People Now: Early years sector 'increasingly relying on volunteers'
- Nursery World: The cost of a nursery place rises above inflation
- The Telegraph: Free childcare pushing annual nursery costs beyond £6,300, report suggests
- Yahoo! News: Free childcare pushing annual nursery costs beyond £6,300, report suggests
- Working Mums: Tax-free childcare rolled out to parents of under 12s
- Eastern Dail Press: Norfolk pre-school warns it may face closure if new committee can’t be found
- The Guardian: Cash cuts undermining 30-hours childcare policy
- Nursery World: More than 25,000 parents yet to receive confirmation of 30 hours childcare place
- Day Nurseries: Seven thousand more disadvantaged children to get 'free' nursery place
- Relocate Global: Four-year-olds 'should be taught more maths'
- Nursery World (£): General Data Protection Regulation - Data Mayday
- Planet Genius: Parents paid £1m over 'shambles' childcare scheme
- BBC news website: Parents paid £1m over 'shambles' childcare scheme
- Nursery World: HMRC has paid out £40,000 in compensation to Tax-Free Childcare parents
- Day nurseries: Neil Leitch to speak at Childcare Expo
- talkRADIO: Richard Madeley talks to Lisa about bullying and the Seeds of Empathy project
- Nursery World: Nearly 1,000 children's centres not inspected
- Nursery World (£): Enabling Environments: Risk - Be safe
- Day nurseries: Children's centre services 'undermined' by lack of Ofsted inspections
- Children & Young People Now: Inspection freeze 'undermines' children's centres, charity warns
- BBC news website: Parents 'shelling out for free nursery scheme'
- Sky News: Childcare pledge at breaking point
- The Guardian: Parents pay to plug gaps in free childcare funding, survey finds
- The Mirror: Parents paying the price for 30-hours 'free' childcare after nurseries inflate costs elsewhere to manage demand
- BBC TV news: Neil Leitch speaks to BBC lunchtime news about 30 hours underfunding
- Across BBC local radio: Parents pay the price for the 30-hour offer as childcare providers are forced to limit 'fully free’ places, new survey reveals
- BBC Woman's Hour: 30 hours leaves parents paying the price
- The Sun: Parents are ‘paying for free nursery scheme out of their own pockets’
- Huffington Post: 30-Hour Free Childcare Scheme Has Increased Costs For Some, And Parents Are Divided
- Press Association, and other outlets: Is your '30 hours free childcare' really free? Nurseries 'ask parents to top-up' Government scheme
- Nursery World: 'Completely free' 30 hours shunned by most providers
- Day Nurseries: Parents pay price for Government's 'free' childcare as nurseries charge for nappies
- The Guardian: Ofsted’s Bold Beginnings report on reception class curriculum is flawed
- Nursery World: Tax-Free Childcare extended to more parents, but some still unable to sign up
- Nursery World: Campaigners against formal learning in Reception call for controversial report to be withdrawn
- Day Nurseries: Robert Winston says Ofsted should value four-year-olds' playtime more
- Children & Young People Now: Thousands of parents yet to receive 30 hours childcare confirmation
- Working mums: Tax-free childcare opens for children under 9
- Nursery World: Concerns over 'inaccurate' qualifications consultation
- Nursery World: More parents applying for 30 hours, but thousands still without a place
Nursery World: Nadhim Zahawi will have responsibility for early years and social care
- Headteacher Update: Alarm at Ofsted’s Reception conclusions
- Working Mums: Amber Rudd appointed minister for women and equalities
- Children & Young People Now: New Education Secretary's track record highlights early years interest
- Children & Young People Now: Damian Hinds replaces Justine Greening as Education Secretary
- Nursery World: Early years sector’s hopes and dreams for the year ahead
- apolitical: England has given working parents free childcare—but it’s controversial